Liebster Award - Double Whammy

Liebster Award - Double Whammy

Saturday, March 14, 2015




Because I'm a ~*pro blogger*~ I've put this off for like ages. M from Backlist Books nominated me probably a year or so ago. Shaina from Shaina Reads did maybe a month ago. And like two other people have since then. So HERE IT IS. I've combined the M and Shaina questions. I'll spare you the other two sets just because nobody needs to know that much about me. But thanks to Diaries of a Book Lover and A Reading Habit!

The Rules
  1. Make sure you thank and link back the person who nominated you.
  2. List 11 facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions put forward by whoever nominated you.
  4. Ask 11 new questions to 9 bloggers. (They must have less than 200 followers on Bloglovin' or their preferred method. You cannot re-nominate the blog that nominated you.)
  5. Go to their blog and inform them that they have been nominated!

11 Facts About Me 

Don't worry, I won't give you guys 22 facts about me.
  1. I've written 4 novels and perform at a lot of live lit and poetry readings. 
  2. I almost went to college for linguistics. I've studied Japanese, Spanish, French, Welsh, and Sanskrit!
  3. I can play the bagpipes.
  4. If you didn't know, I'm from Minnesota. But I don't have a cabin and a boat up at the lake. Or an accent, really. Sorry.
  5. I love thrifting, fashion, and makeup. I actually took a Garment Construction class a couple years ago. One of my classmates went on to be on Project Runway!
  6. I never got my driver's license. Weird, I know. I just like haven't gotten around to it? And living in Chicago has also made it super unnecessary. Maybe I'll schedule a test for spring break. Nope, just checked, it's all booked up. Maybe next year!
  7. I love love love camping. And traveling in general. I've got mad wanderlust, unlike the rest of my family.
  8. I intern at an animation studio.
  9. My friends and I once made an Animal Crossing town named Culver's and we named all of the characters after employees at our local Culver's. And played as them. It is the creepiest thing I have ever done.
  10. I'm actually obsessed with horror movies. I need to see every new horror movie that's coming out, no matter how bad it probably will be.
  11. I never finished reading the Harry Potter series and I probably never will. Ain't nobody got time for that.
M's 11 Questions


1. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
Oh god, that's a good question. I guess technically maybe 2 years? But I've probably taken a year's worth of hiatuses early on, so I don't know if that counts. Anyway, I started because I was super into all the cool book recommendations I was finding from other blogs. I wanted a place to hold myself accountable for reading more and to participate in challenges.

2. What's your favourite thing about being a book blogger?
Everybody says this, but the community! Meeting bookish people (I have few in my "real life") has made reading significantly more fun and active.

3. Other than reading, what's your favourite hobby?
I have a lot of these. Drinking? Just kidding. Since it's winter right now, knitting.

4. What's your number one food or beverage craving?
Chipotle. Orange soda.

5. What's the one place you want to visit in the world that you haven't been to yet?
New Zealand. Or, honestly, anywhere outside of America. I've been nowhere.

6. Which book made you fall in love with reading?
A Clockwork Orange when I was in middle school. Swamplandia! again a few years ago.

7. What's your favourite TV show or movie?
UGH hard. Movie: Amelie? Maybe? TV show: Game of Thrones. Or Toddlers and Tiaras. Tough choice.

8. What's your dream job?
The closer I get to graduation, the less I feel like I know. I guess visual effects artist, but maybe I just want to work in a bookstore. Who knows?

9. What do you collect (other than books)?
Mounted butterflies and moths. Don't judge, my apartment looks like a beautiful abandoned cottage of a reclusive naturalist/scholar. When it's clean, at least. But also when it's dusty.

10. Do you have any pets?
3 cats! But they're all at home in Minnesota. I miss them so much.

11. What's your favourite band or song?
Uhhhhhh of Montreal or David Bowie (is he a band? let's be real, he's like a universe).


 Shaina's 11 Questions

1. What is the first book you can vividly remember reading?
Probably Strega Nona. I can't remember what it's about other than spaghetti.

2. If you only had time to read one more book in your life, would you want it to be an old favorite or a new one? Why?
I HATE BEING CONFRONTED WITH MY MORTALITY. New ones have too much risk of disappointing you. I'd reread Lord of the Rings 100%.

3. How do you feel about footnotes in books?
They're fun if they're used in interesting ways.

4. Say someone offered to write you an awesome non-fiction book of your choosing. What would the topic be?
The Dyatlov Pass incident! This is one of the spookiest stories ever. Some hikers in the snowy Russian mountains were found to have torn their tents from the inside out to get away from something and they were all found dead with like skull fractures but no outside wounds. And someone was missing her tongue. And some of their clothes were radioactive?? It's a bunch of weird details. I need a book that has all the answers for me.

5. Besides reading, what's your favorite/most time-consuming hobby?
I said knitting earlier, so I'll say video games here?? Honestly, during the winter most of my hobbies fall to the wayside. Reading is like all I have right now.

6. Which book was most uncomfortable for you to read? Did you finish it?
Hmm. It's hard for a book to make me uncomfortable. I guess Happy Like Murderers by Gordon Burn. That was a dark true crime book that was pretty intense. I did finish it, though. Seeing the mofos arrested was kind of gratifying, but I still mostly felt very unsettled.

7. Can you read in a language besides English? If not, which language would you pick?
I can read in Japanese pretty well. My goal is to read a Murakami book in the original Japanese one day!

8. Is there a genre you've changed your mind about? (Disliking to liking, or vice versa.)
I don't avoid YA altogether now, but it's still not like all aboard the YA train.

9. Do you give or take more book recommendations?
On the internet, take. In real life, give. Constantly giving.

10. In the vein of #8, have you ever changed your mind about a specific book?
Um. Kind of Heart of Darkness. Like I still didn't enjoy reading it, but I appreciate it for what it is.

11. Do you use your public library? Why or why not?
Yes! All the time! I love it. I can't afford to buy new books, so I put holds on things super early. I may or may not have to use my roommate's card to put more books on hold.


My 11 Questions 

  1. Do you write in books?
  2. What two genres would you say represent your life?
  3. How do you feel about ARCs?
  4. Would you take your ex back if they asked really really nicely? Can I call them and tell you what you said? JK: What's your least favorite animal?
  5. What's the scariest book you've ever read?
  6. What song was most recently stuck in your head?
  7. Do you listen to podcasts? Which ones?
  8. Do you feel a heavy sense of regret settling across all of your life and the choices you've made? KIDDING, who's your ~*~celebrity crush~*~?
  9. What was the best part of your day today?
  10. What's your favorite thing to do when it's warm out?
  11. Since it's pseudo-St. Patrick's Day today, what's your favorite drink? (alcoholic or non-acoholic if you don't live that wasted college student life)


I nominate:


Aaaand I'm going to stop here. This is an award that's been around for a while, so I kind of assume everyone's already done it. If you want to use my questions on a post of your own, DO IT! And link back, because I'd love to read them. Especially the answer to #8. If you just want to post your answers in the comments, do that too. Alright, cool.


Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...